Saturday, January 24, 2009

5 Minutes with Para-Military Guy In Goa

I went for a photo shoot today in Banaulim Beach, Goa or a Shack called Jonsy's. It was around 9:00pm, we had just finished clicking photos of the customers and had come out of the shack to click some panoramic shots. While my friend was busy clicking, I noticed a guy in a military suit and an automatic assault rifle gazing at us with curiosity. He came closer see what we were clicking. It was dark and like most people, he might have thought how the hell can we photograph anything in the dark without firing the flash. When he did see the photo, like most people, he was amazed.

I turned to him and as usual I threw a conversation starter. Let me tell you a thing about me-People love to tell their whole life story to me. They just cant resist. I asked him whether he was paramilitary. He said yes. He told me he was from Gujarat and had been posted here after the Mumbai Attacks. He was supposed to leave last week but they extended his time till the mid Feb. There was a slight disheartened tone in his voice. I changed the topic to his work and why Goa need people like him. I told him there are very few police officers, many of which are guarding the ministers. He told me that the police in Goa are not capable of handling terrorists. He continued to say that even in Mumbai where the police are well-trained and equipped, they too couldn't handle it. He mentioned that the attack was supposed to take place in Goa but something happened and the plans changed and Mumbai was made the target. I said that if Goa would have been attacked, no one would care. Only Goa would suffer because tourism would halt.

He went on to tell me about his family. Unfortunately, he got a call and I had to continue my shoot. It was unfortunate because I wanted to tell him that because of people like him, we feel safe. This is something we only say after the solder.

I felt good meeting him. I don't remember his name but what strikes me was he was as old as my uncle or dad and even though he is not in the military and not treated as on, when the nation calls he leaves his job, home, wife and kids to protect us.

No comments:

Post a Comment