Sunday, January 18, 2009

Miss the morning sunrise (and dont know when the sun sets)? Take a Morning Walk

For centuries, getting up early in the morning was considered the formula for having a good day and a healthy life. We have prayers and exercises named after and performed for the rising sun. Unfortunately, in our hectic lives we get to see a lot less of it and even if we do, we never appreciate it.

During childhood,we loved to run and play whenever we get the slightest of free time.But as we grow up, things change but they don't have to. I used to sleep at 3:00am and wake up at 9 am. My work schedule didn't allow me to get up in the morning(at least that's what I believed). I was tied up in this vicious cycle where I have to complete my work before going to sleep and therefore couldn't wake up in the morning. As a result I gained weight, my allergies became quite frequent, my mood fluctuated and more. During the last week of last year(08) I had enough of it. I re-evaluated my priorities. I realised that if I have another day to live, I can have another day to work. My work should revolve around my life and not the other around. I'm in my mid 20s and I don't want to wait till my 60 to do what I have and want to do in my personal life. Mind you, I love to work and I will do the work I love all my life. And that is why, my point being, I want to live a long life.

The Wellness Industry will soon replace the Software Industry as the fastest growing and having the most number of millionaires. Why is that? Because we are made to believe that good health is not free anymore and if you want good health you must pay the price. Gadgets, cholesterol free oil, nutritional supplements, high-tech gyms etc are all fighting each other to get your attention. But all it takes to avoid back pains, cholesterol, tummy bulge, etc and build stamina and help your body absorb all the nutrient that is in the food you already eat is a 1 hr walk or jog around your jogging track or neighborhood(if you like going solo)

So if you think you don't have the time to take care of your body, think again. A doctor, if at all, can give you a cure to your disease. But if is your responsibility to avoid it in the first place. We all hope to do a lot of things like waking up early, going for a walk etc etc most of it after we retire. But the irony is how can we expect to live that long if we don't do all that now and keep ourselves healthy till then. To be honest, I am not yet a regular morning walker and sunrise watcher but the fact that I know someone like you is reading this motivates me to practice what I preach. So get up in the morning, take a family member out with you... or take your dog with you... hell take your cow with you... just get your butt up at 6, take a walk and watch the beautiful sunrise every morning( See you sometime in the neighbourhood!)

No comments:

Post a Comment