Monday, January 12, 2009

Haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire? Why?

I don't WATCH movies in the theater, I celebrate their success in the theater. For entertainment, I'd rather wait a year and watch it on TV then loose 3 hours of my life which I wont ever get back. Well Slumdog millionaire is one great movie. It just won 4 Golden Globe awards and is a promising candidate for the Oscars.

There is a lot of huu haa about the movie in India. Im glad to see that there are no demonstration by some 3rd grade organization protesting against their sentiments being hurt. But sarcasm aside, the million dollor question is that is it a Hollywood Movie or a Bollywood movie, or maybe a Britishwood movie. The financing came from abroad, it was Anils' Kapoors Dream, and had a British Direction Danny Boyle. I like to think it a Universal-wood movie. It could be made anywhere else in any other slum and it would be that successful. Ofcouse, AR Rehman is God and I have nothing to say that will match his true greatness.

As I sat watching this great movie in Inox - Panjim in Goa, I realised the implications that this movie has on Indian Cinema and Indian Audience and it is profound. Although Slumdog Millionaire doesnt deserve to branded as a Bollywood film, the fact that it is being branded signals an urge to change the perception of old hag producers, directors and writers that refused to do this film because it was not "Filmy". It says that Indian Audiance want more Slumdogs and more Rock-Ons that dont revolve around actors but around the story and the art of film-making. We want to see people like us in the film so we can relate to them and more important, be inspired by them. We want to fulfill our dreams amidst our hectic lives, like the characters in Rock-on. We want to believe that we can come out of slums and make our lives better. We dont want to loose our happy-ending-sing-and-dance-films nor flood the industry with movies like slumdog. We just want varienty and new ideas.

So my suggestion is that if you haven't go watch it and be a part of the Bollywood Revolution.

On a final note, Congratulation to Anil Kapoor. He is one actor who has had and is still having a successful career in Bollywood but unfortunately he is not acknowedged as much as he deserves. Watch him sprung out of his seat at the Golden Globe. I guess he'll fly if he bags the Oscar.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this movie might have been over-rated.. but after reading your review.. I feel compelled to spend those 3 hours of my life watching it.. :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete